Sunday, August 28, 2011

Happy Halloween - a little early


When I first learned to quilt I went to the Annual Quilt Odyssey in Hershey. Pennsylvania. I found these cute little foundation pieced block patterns called Little Bits by Cindy Edgerton. They were miniature quilts printed on tissue paper. There were so many I liked and they were only $5 each (for 4 copies of the pattern), so I bought a few. The only place I could find them was at the Hershey Show, so each year I’d go back and buy some more. I even bought duplicates and didn’t even realize it until I moved.
I never made any of the patterns because the first time I tried I ripped up the tissue paper and just couldn’t finish the project. Well, I really wanted to make a mini-quilt for my cubicle at work. I recently moved into a new building with very neutral colors and I wanted something bright and fun, so I decided to try the Little Bits Halloween Miniature Quilt. I taped the tissue paper to copy paper, scanned it into the computer and then printed it on the paper I use for paper piecing. It worked perfectly.
This weekend I pieced the quilt together, it’s adorable. Just need to sandwich, quilt (stitch in the ditch) and bind and it’ll be ready to hang. But it’s an October quilt for Halloween and September is just starting and when I looked in my stack of patterns, I found a perfect mini for September. I’m going to try to make that one this weekend. But in the meantime, here’s the top of my Miniature Halloween Quilt.

4 comments:

Debbie said...

This is fantastic, Cathy! What are the dimensions? Did you fussy cut the roof pieces? They work so well. Another good job!

Kat Scribner said...

This is so sweet. Very whimsy. I really like it! You are so encouraging!

Kathy ~~~ said...

Real cute, Cathy!

Cathy in said...

I think it ends up 15"x18" - I didn't really fussy cut the roof but I did pay attention. It just makes me smile. Hope it did the same for you. Wait till you see the one with the school bus. It's adorable!