Saturday, January 15, 2011

Ben's Quilt


I started this quilt 3 years ago with a block of the month, but my son wanted it to fit his queen-size bed, so I started making more blocks. He gave me the color scheme of red, black and white. I put it away with only 2 blocks missing. I had never done a bed quilt and thought it too hard. I took it out recently (after putting together a king-size quilt for someone else). I made the missing 2 blocks and then found two others I didn't really like, so I made new ones to replace them. I've done the layout now but want to look at it for a while before I actually put it together. Once it's together there's no changing my mind. In a graphics file I can easily adjust where the blocks are. What do you think? I have striped border fabric and some really cool backing fabric (although will have to use two different prints). I'm ready to sew it together, I think .....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would put the round-looking ones in the corners, and then distribute the other similar-looking ones in another symmetrical manner. It's tough to do in this format - my hands are itching to move them around in person! :o) But I wouldn't stress over it - after all, it's for a guy... ;o)

Cathy in said...

Which ones do you consider the round looking ones? Row/column
Right now I have red backgrounds in the corners, black backgrounds at first and last row. That's the symmetry I saw. But you're right -- he won't notice and you only really see the design/symmetry from a distance, like when something is hanging, not from a bed.

Anonymous said...

Oh - I MUST be tired - now I see the red backgrounds...OK, now I've got this box next to the quilt so I can see...no, I wouldn't change anything - you've got the black-corner blocks on the top and bottom rows, and then just placed the others with similar backgrounds - I think it looks good. Hmmm...or - if you want the red ones to "pop" - put them in a square around the center block, and use your four lightest-looking blocks in the corners, or four that almost look the same. Do you have this on the computer so you can move them around? I've got to get going on my EQ7...this must be so cool to do... And good point about it being on a bed - you're right - it would be even less noticeable.